Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Roasted Salsa Verde

I never knew how easy and delicious homemade salsa is to make, until I ordered my first Mexican pack from Bountiful Baskets.  The Mexican pack came with tomatillos, onions, jalapenos, green chiles, cilantro, garlic, limes, avocados.  YUM!  I decided to make roasted salsa verde without really following a recipe.  I tell you what!  It was SO good. :)  I really don't want to go back to buying the jarred stuff.  Plus, I like that I get to control the heat level. 

Here's the recipe I came up with...


Roasted Salsa Verde

10-12 tomatillos
1 onion
1 1/2 tsp canola oil                                                         

1-2 jalapenos
2 cloves garlic
handful fresh cilantro or parsley
1 lime
1 tsp salt, r to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper


Set oven to broil and place oven rack 5-6 inches from broiler.  Remove husks from tomatillos, wash and pat dry.  Cut tomatillos in half and place on cookie sheet.  Remove skin from onion and cut into eighths; place on cookie sheet.  Drizzle the oil over the veggies and lightly toss to coat. 


Broil 8-10 minutes or until veggies are browned. 










Meanwhile, cut the jalapenos in quarters, removing seeds if less heat is desired.  Place in a food processor.  Add the garlic, cilantro, the zest of the lime and the juice of half of the lime.  Pulse 4 times. 









Add the roasted tomatillos and onions to the food processor along with the salt and pepper.  Pulse until desired consistency is acheived.  Store salsa in an airtight container and allow it to cool in the refrigerator before serving. 



 Try making Slow Cooker Chicken Verde using this salsa!  Recipe to come...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment