Monday, April 18, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

Yesterday, I told you about the Angel Food Ministry... a ministry that allows people to purchase food items at a much lower cost.  Well, if you didn't read about it, then check out my last blog!


Well, today I'm going to tell you about a similar concept... Bountiful Baskets Co-Op.  Instead of buying a basket full of meat and frozen meals, one basket will give you TONS of fruit and vegetables.  And I do mean TONS.  
If memory serves me wellthe last time I bought a basket I received:


  • 1 large head romaine lettuce
  • a small bunch of cherry tomatoes 
  • 3 chayotes (also known as alligator pears - part of the squash family) 
  • a big bunch of celery  
  • a bunch of bananas
  • 1 cantaloupe 
  • 1 head cabbage
  • 6 ears of corn
  • about 14 green chiles (YUM!)
  • a pint of strawberries
  • 6 oz pkg of blueberries   


Oh, I forgot to tell you the best part.... it's only $15 per basket.  Yeah, I know!  That's nothing.  I was going to one of those farmer's markets/grocery stores for my produce, which I will say was very reasonably priced, and would spend around $40 in produce for 2 weeks.  Now, I spend $15 every two weeks!  I love it! 



Here's one more little piece of info you need to know before purchasing your Bountiful Basket.  You don't know what you are going to get each time.  How fun is that?  The very first time I bought a basket, I was surprised and very excited, to get a coconut.  I had never bought a fresh coconut before.  The surprise this past time was the chayotes.  I'll be honest, I haven't used them yet, but when I do, I will let you know! 



To recap all there is to know about Bountiful Baskets:
1.  Co-Op is available in several states across the country
2.  Purchase a basket (or 2 or 3) starting Mondays at noon until Tuesdays at 10pm
3.  Cost is $15 per basket
4.  Look up the closest pick-up site and note the time of pick-up.
5.  You don't know what you are going to get, but know that you'll get a lot!  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment